Tuesday, June 17, 2014

And So We Shall Begin...

I decided to create this blog after I began to think about my own personal plans to deal with Emergency Preparedness. With Ice/Snow storms causing friends of mine to have a normal commute turn into a 12 1/2 hour slog or Hurricanes causing the loss of power for several days, I began to look into my own personal preparedness for such events.

My own goal is based on the extremes, to be able to survive without food or water for 72 hours without water or electricity in temperatures as low as 0 Fahrenheit and as high as 120 Fahrenheit, and with winds as high as 25-35 miles per hour.

As I live nearly 40 miles from where I work, this also could mean a "hike" home of 40 miles or sheltering in place at work for an over night.

Solutions needed to be durable, practical, and exclusively assigned to emergency preparedness so that they would always be ready. Ideally they would be things which I already had on hand, but if not, they would be inexpensive solutions to my preparedness plans.

I am a bit of an Anglophile, so with that in mind, set out to find British surplus military solutions to my emergency preparedness plans, with items found at low cost from companies like Sportsman's Guide or on eBay and/or recommended on Wilderness Survival or Bushcraft Forums online. Of course I could look at American military surplus, but I did not desire to be confused with American military and other military surplus wouldn't serve my Anglophilic tendencies.

I hope the information found here is of use to others and that I shall never have a need to use any of it for any reason. But if I do, it will be ready for use and allow me to be as comfortable as I could be, even in extreme weather conditions.

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment