Monday, June 23, 2014

And Now You Have to Carry It All Home...

One of my major considerations for getting home, the 40 miles I need to in an emergency on foot, was having something capable of carrying the things I would need for that potentially very long walk home. I basically would need things to sustain me in extreme weather for up to 24 hours.

This bag would need to be kept in the trunk of my car and used anywhere I go, providing me some level of comfort for 24 hours in any weather. 









For this task I've chosen the British Rucksack Side Pouch with the Rucksack Side Yoke. A number of years ago, these were available from Sportsman's Guide, though now you would have to look on eBay to find them, most likely eBay.co.uk. 


Developed in the 1980s as part of the Personal Load Carrying Equipment (PLCE) each side pouch can carry 10 liters. These can be used individually or in pairs to form a daysack and can be attached to the sides of the 100 liter bergen (rucksack).

The PLCE Webbing is made from double-layered 1000 Denier internally rubberised Cordura nylon, an incredibly hard wearing fabric. Olive Green webbing was initially used, though it was later replaced with a camouflage pattern webbing. I personally paid the bit extra to get the Olive Green as it looked less militaristic.


Once my entire kit is assembled, I will test this out on a weekend outing to make sure I have packed everything I need for 24 hours and to make sure the weight is bearable and the contents practical and functional.


All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment