Friday, November 20, 2015

Looking for a Comfortable Tent for Stationary Camping...

I've been looking for a tent for stationary camping. Something that will be large enough for my wife and myself, as well as out dog. Taking a look at the 2-3 man tents, they were quickly ruled out as not being quite large enough. So the task was on to find something a bit larger. I happened upon the British Army 4 Man Arctic Shelter and have decided to give it a try.

I should begin by stating that this tent will be used for stationary camping, that is parking the car and camping just a few feet from it. Because of this, weight of the tent was a minor consideration and comfort and space inside the tent the main factors in its selection.

After looking about a bit, I finally selected the British Army 4 Man Arctic Shelter. Not including the "covered porch on either end of the tent, this tent measures 9'x6' and has 4' of headroom in the center of the tent.


The tent has openings on both ends with the option at one end of the tent to connect two of these tents together end to end.


The entrance can be minimized to two entrances at each end, or opened wide to create an entrance as large as the entire end of the tent.


The shelter is actually two tents, one inner tent consisting of a white cotton roof/sides and a green waterproof floor with short sides/walls. The outer tent is a fly which ties to the inner tent creating an insulating air space between the two tents.


The floor of the tent has a flap, closed by Velcro on three sides which opens to expose the ground below the tent, allowing you to safely operate a camp stove inside the tent.


The tens has mesh ventilation flaps at each end above the door.


And also on the outer tent as part of the "porch."


Along the ridge of the inner tent is a clothes line for drying and airing of clothing


Each end of the tent has a "porch" or covered section of ground for the storage of boots or anything else you want to protect, but don't want to bring inside the tent.

From research, I've been told these can be set up in 5 minutes, but from experience, you should have already tried setting up the tent and also have someone to help you. I have yet to find a published instruction on how to set up the tent, but even without it, I've managed to figure things out.

Also from research, they outer tent has some water repellent issues and should be sheltered from winds. It is not lightweight coming in at about 25 pounds.

But for a tent which you can use in a static camp, provided with a wind break and water proofed for additional water protection, it looks to be a fine tent and I look forward to many years of use.

I bought mine from Keep Shooting and would highly recommend them for their products and exceptional customer service.

All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Hello,
    do You have a manual for this tent? How many poles are You using to set up each section? In my ten 7 poles are too much and 6 are not enough. I`ve got this tent and it`s really nice but the biggest problem is to set it up.
    Sorry for my english.
    Regards from poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not and have been looking for one. I noticed a similar issue with the tent poles. I will take another look at this and see what I can find.

      Delete
    2. I also can`t find any manuals for this tent. Maybe it`s top secret ;)
      Thanks.
      Regards.

      Delete
  2. Hi can anyone tell me the length of the poles Please

    ReplyDelete