Monday, July 13, 2015

Looking for a Smaller "Get Home Bag"...

When the weather got warmer and it was time for me to repack my Get Home Bag for the Summer months, I found that the larger bag I was using was now no longer needed as I needed less warm items during the hot summer months. I could simple tighten the straps on the larger bag, reducing its size, or I could look for a smaller size bag.

A smaller bag is also very useful for those who cannot carry a larger bag for some reason, be it size or weight.

I did some researching and recently one of the bags I'd looked into became available on the American market. This is the 30 Litre Patrol Pack (nsn 8415-99-869-3875) also known as the Northern Ireland Patrol Pack, which was introduced in late 1995. Designed for short duration patrols, it is not as large as the regular British Army bergen, holding approximately 30 litres versus 100 litres in the infantry bergen or the 50 litres all arms bergen. Also, the two side pouches are permanently attached and the bag lacks an internal frame, unlike the larger British Army bergens. The top flap has two zippered pouches above the large central main storage area of the pack.



Constructed of cordura nylon, this is a rugged and hard wearing pack will stand up to most activity. I will note, in my research, it was advised to stay away from civy street models of this pack and buy only the real surplus British Army pack, as the civy street models are not very durable.


Repacked for summer, mine weights only 17 pounds packed. Without getting into details about the contents (this will be covered in a future post) it contains undershorts and a t-shirt, socks, shorts, gortex rain suit, windproof jacket and trousers, wool jumper, sun hat, bivy bag and sleeping bag. Most of what I would need to cover 37 miles in 24 hours in any weather I might have to handle during the warmer months of the year. And I still have room in the bag for additional items.


Mine came from Keep Shooting which has been the source of a number of my emergency preparedness items. They offer quick shipping and fantastic customer support. www.keepshooting.com

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment